Legacy Parkway - a pretty great drive

Like thousands of my fellow Utahns, I have been eagerly anticipating the opening of the Legacy Parkway. I took the opportunity of driving it twice when returning from Layton this weekend. I give it an A grade. It's a really pleasant drive. Here's what I like.

  1. The pavement is new, smooth, and quiet
  2. Traffic is just a little slower at 55 MPH, a more relaxed drive. The UHP was patroling for speeders and drivers for the most part were probably keeping it under 65. No aggressive drivers.
  3. You are surrounded by fields, you feel like you are driving out in the country instead of a concrete high speed freeway.
  4. No concrete "sound" walls blocking views of the mountains.
  5. The nature trails running alongside the parkway are occupied by numerous walkers, joggers, bikers.
  6. I discovered some new wetlands that are accessible by car
  7. The overpasses are aesthetically designed for beauty as well as function.
  8. The curving road truly does give you interesting views and makes it kind of fun to drive. It would be fun to drive fast on those curves, I'll admit, but I do like that 55 MPH limit.

There are only a couple of things I don't like:

  1. There are lots of small animals getting hit by cars. Hopefully, the wildlife will adapt to the parkway.
  2. There is no entrance or exit to North Salt Lake. Somehow I missed that little important fact during the construction. Since the parkway begins in NSL, I had just assumed we would be the first on-ramp from the south. I have to use 500 South in Bountiful. Not as convenient as I would have liked.

I have to compliment our state for this new parkway. If we must build more freeways to carry thousands of more drivers through sensitive environments, this is an example of a good compromise. And it's a pleasure for a driver.

Blog Archive