Movie Review: Taken

I don't go to the movies as much as I used to for a couple of reasons. One, I get really sick and tired of the constant attack on conservatives and conservatism. Second, Hollywood puts out a lot of crap and overhypes it. Most of the time if I want to watch a good movie I turn on TCM and watch something from the 1930's and 40's when studios new a good script, directors knew how to direct, and actors were masters of their craft, not just a pretty face with an empty head. I know - there are still some good actors out there but the percentage has dropped dramatically over the past 50 years.

I had heard a few good things about Taken so I decided to see it. I am so glad I did. I have to admit I was already a fan of Liam Neeson. He did not disappoint.

Maybe I am reading too much into the storyline but to me, this movie was an affirmation of the techniques used by the CIA and U.S. military in extracting information from terrorists. Taken asks this question:

Q. What would you do to protect someone you love?
A. Whatever was necessary.

There are no apologies and no hesitation. One of my favorite lines in the movie is this (slightly paraphrased):
If it's ransom you want I don't have money. But what I do have is a particular set of skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. I don't know who you are but I know this. If you don't let my daughter go, I will find you. I will kill you.
That is exactly how we must conduct ourselves in the War on Terror if we expect to win it.

I encourage you to see Taken. You will not be disappointed.

Blog Archive