A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief - redux

UPDATE: For the YouTube video, see my newer post: http://slcblues.blogspot.com/2008/09/if-youre-looking-for-poor-wayfaring-man.html

Some months ago, I wrote a post about the movie "The New York Dolls" and the fascinating and unexpectedly touching story of Arthur Kane. You can read it here: http://slcblues.blogspot.com/2008/02/poor-wayfaring-man-of-grief-david.html.

At the time I searched the internet for a link to the video of David Johansen singing "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" in memory of his friend, Arthur "Killer" Kane. This video played while the credits rolled at the end of the movie. Everyone I have ever heard speak of the movie agrees, you must sit through the credits just to hear this. And maybe it is better in context after seeing the story about the gentle soul Arthur had become after overcoming his drug addictions and after joining the Mormon church.

Today someone read that old post of mine and send me a link to the tune I had searched for. You can watch the video here: http://www.onepotatoproductions.com/davidjohymn.html. Also go to the link to my earlier post to listen to "Come, Come Ye Saints".

The movie might be a little rough for some, though I do recommend it. But understanding the conflicts between Kane and Johansen and how they reconciled for a final concert makes these pieces a little more powerful. Johansen wanted to do these in honor and respect for his Mormon friend, though he had ridiculed him for his religion at their last meeting.

Thank you, Tracy, for sending me the link.

Blog Archive